This took a lot longer than I planned. I intended to be done by now, but with travel to Pittsburgh and 2 weeks of illness, it took a long time to get the taping, mudding, and sanding finished. However, that is done as is priming and painting!
So, to catch up on what has been done. After we framed and hung the dry wall, I taped and then slapped up a layer of mud over the tape. I waited a day and repeated. I waited a day and repeated again. Each time, I feathered it out a little further. I think I put a total of 4 or 5 layers of mud on the wall, which allowed me to progressively feather the mud a bit more each time. The corners were the biggest challenge. I attempted to use an edger to fill in the corners, but my mud was so thin this didn’t work very well. I ended up using a straight trowel to pull out carefully instead and I’m happy with how it came out.
After that, I spent one evening and part of another sanding down the mud until it was all very smooth. I wiped down the walls and Terri spent yesterday and today priming and painting two coats of blue on the wall.
I’ve now cleaned out the room and vacuumed up the floor once more to prep the surface for flooring.
Tomorrow I plan on undercutting the walls so that there’s space to float the floor under them and then I can start laying my flooring. After I finish laying the floor, I need to buy and stain new trim and use my nailer to attach that to the wall with finishing nails.
Then, I’ll install a white board (I’ve given up the full wall white board as I’ve found a supplier for an affordable porcelain on steel framed board that will cover my 8 foot wall). I hope to move into my new office in another week or so.